Skip to Main Content

How to end your contract in Single Graduate or Student Family Housing

If a resident wishes to terminate their contract early or prior to move-in, they may by following the appropriate steps based on their housing status:

Current Tenants: All graduate and family housing tenants can terminate their contract early at any time without penalty by submitting a Notice of Intent to Vacate (NITV). The NITV can be accessed in your housing portal by selecting “Manage Housing” from the top blue menu bar or a direct link is available on the MyHousing page under the "Other Services and Information" header. Please bear in mind that NITVs require a minimum of thirty days’ notice.

Incoming Tenants: Those who have accepted an offer may request to cancel their contract at any point prior to the contract start date by notifying our office via e-mail ( that they wish to cancel their contract prior to move-in and must include in the email: 1) University ID number and 2) Brief one sentence explaining why the cancellation request is being made. UCLA Housing Services will reply within two business days to confirm the cancellation request. The initial payment paid will be kept as a cancellation fee.