Skip to Main Content

What to Bring - What Not to Bring to University Faculty Housing

What to Bring

Alternative text needed

Your apartment has a full kitchen including stove, refrigerator, and microwave. You will need to bring your own dishes, utensils, pots and pans, toaster, and other small appliances; cleaning equipment, such as a vacuum cleaner and cleaning supplies; laundry supplies; towels and toiletries; and electronics such as a telephone and television. You will also need to provide your own linens.

What Not to Bring

Do not bring your own appliances, including mini-refrigerators, washers, or clothes dryers.

Pets or visiting animals are not allowed in faculty housing except for Park Wilshire residents who must abide by the homeowners association CC&Rs. Dogs and cats are expressly prohibited. Exception is made for authorized service/assisting animals for the resident of record only or the resident’s dependent. All service animals must be recommended by the Disabled Student Housing Appeals Board (DSHAB) prior to move in and annually thereafter. All documentation for the appeal of a service animal should be submitted through the Center for Accessible Education.


The University pays for water, trash removal, basic cable TV, and high-speed Internet access. Gas, electricity, and phone service are the financial responsibility of the resident. Residents must pay to install additional phone lines. Residents must initiate utility service in their names within 3 three days of moving into their apartment. Please contact your Resident Services Coordinator for assistance if you experience difficulties in getting the utilities turned on due to payment problems of the prior resident.

Remember, you must also arrange to have your utilities disconnected when you terminate your residency and move out of UA Faculty Housing. Please transfer your electricity and gas to the “Regents of the University of California” effective the date of your official move-out on your Notice of Intent to Vacate.

Telephone numbers for the utility companies are as follows:

Department of Water and Power (DWP) - Electricity
1394 Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025
(800) 342-5397 (toll free within California)
(213) 481-5411 (outside California)

The Gas Company
1300 6th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Cross-street: Arizona Avenue
(800) 427-2200 or (outside California)

Verizon - Telephone and Internet Service
251 Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA
(800) 483-4000 or

AT&T - Telephone Service for Clarington 
(800) 310-2355

Time Warner Cable - Cable Television, Telephone, and Internet
6695 Green Valley Circle, Culver City, CA 90230
(866) 886-7282 or

Note: The University is not responsible for any equipment rented to the resident by Time Warner Cable. By signing your rental agreement or contract, you are agreeing to the Time Warner “acceptable use policy” for their Internet service. 

Return all equipment to Time Warner. Do not leave equipment in your apartment. Residents may be charged up to $500 for equipment not returned. If University Apartments representatives do find your equipment after you moved, you may be fined a $50 item return fee, payable on your Housing account.