Skip to Main Content

Assignment Process For Single Graduate and Student Family Housing

Everything you need to know about room assignments and requests for contract changes

We do not make offers to the exact room space as availability is highly volatile. Instead, housing offers are made to the Building and Room Type, and applicants may choose to accept or decline the offer. Applicants who decline an offer are welcome to reapply, but their application will be considered after current applicants. If an offer is accepted and payment is remitted, we will send out exact unit numbers, roommate information, and move-in information via e-mail about seven (7) days prior to the incoming resident's contract start date.

All students wanting to be roommates should update their application to reflect the requested roommate's information. We will take mutual roommate requests into consideration when making assignments. Please note that roommate requests are not guaranteed and that prospective roommate pairs must be offered to the same building and room type (for example: Westwood Furnished 2 bedroom) in order for us to consider the request when making assignments.

We are only able to consider transfer requests during the quarterly Open Transfer Period. The Open Transfer Period for single graduate and family housing will be held at the beginning of each quarter during the standard academic year. Dates and details on the transfer request process can be found in Ask Housing. Please note that while we accommodate as many transfers as possible, due to limited availability no transfer request is guaranteed.

Do not submit a transfer request if you have a medical need for a change of assignment. Please contact the Center for Accessible Education so that they can review your case.

Our office does not review transfer requests based on roommate conflict. Issues concerning resident conduct and conflict should be brought to the attention of the Office of Residential Life. Residents in Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard Apartments should contact University Apartments North- Residential Life Staff. Residents in Keystone Mentone, Rose Avenue, Venice Barry, The Boulevard and University Village should contact University Apartments South- Residential Life Staff.

I am graduating but my partner will still be a student. Can I transfer primary tenancy to them as I will no longer be eligible?

Residents of University Village may submit a request to transfer tenancy to their domestic partner's name by sending an e-mail to our office at The request should include the new lease holder's full name, university ID number, and the date their primary tenancy will begin.