Skip to Main Content

Faculty Handbook Section 1

(return to Handbook index)

UCLA University Apartments

Conveniently located near Westwood Village, UCLA’s apartments for faculty are just a short walk to the UCLA campus. UAN Faculty Apartments consists of three complexes with a total of 99 units. Faculty Levering has a total of 72 one-, two-, and three-bedroom units, Clarington has 20 one-bedroom with loft units, and Faculty Weyburn, the smallest complex with seven units, has mostly two-bedroom units.

All faculty housing except Clarington is unfurnished. Clarington is furnished and includes a washer and dryer in each unit. Apartments in Faculty Levering, Clarington, and Faculty Weyburn include flooring, blinds, stove, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and central heating and air conditioning. All buildings have parking garages.

UCLA owns and operates the Village Terrace and Faculty Wilkins condominium complexes, and several Park Wilshire condominiums located in the Westwood Village and Wilshire Corridor area. These modern, luxury facilities include in-unit washer/dryers. Village Terrace and Park Wilshire require a six- or twelve-month lease, as well as non-refundable move-in/move-out fees payable to the homeowners association.

UCLA also owns and operates two single-family homes: Kneller House and Kinnard House. Both houses are close to campus.

For short-term stays, UCLA offers nine faculty studio apartments in Weyburn Commons. These units are furnished. Parking is an additional charge.

All UCLA grounds and facilities are tobacco-free, including University Apartments (UA). All UA buildings are 100% tobacco free.

Since the primary purpose of UCLA Faculty Apartments is to respond to the short-term housing needs of Academic Senate members (particularly new appointees), residents who reside in these apartments, homes, and condominiums are subject to annual eligibility review.

All funds required to operate UCLA University Apartments facilities and programs are obtained directly from rental contracts from UCLA students and faculty. University Apartments is totally self-supporting and receives no external funding, either from state, federal, or University sources.

Historically, there has been an annual rent increase in July to fund operating expenditures and capital improvements. The University Apartments housing philosophy is embodied in the concept of providing quality accommodations and service while minimizing costs for our residents. As a result, the facilities and services are reserved for the exclusive use of residents and their invited guests.

Back to Top

University Apartments North (UAN) Staff

Resident Services Coordinators

Resident Services Coordinators are some of the first people you meet at UA. They are the staff members who help you with the move-in process. Resident Services Coordinators issue apartment keys, gate access cards, and give you your first orientation to UA. They are your main point of contact for any issue that may arise during your residency in University Apartments. In addition, Resident Services Coordinators have responsibilities related to building and facility oversight.

Questions concerning payments should be directed to the Housing Accounts Receivable Office by visiting

Administration Office - (310) 983-1300

The Administration Office for Faculty Levering, Faculty Weyburn, Faculty Wilkins, Village Terrace, Park, Weyburn Commons, Wilshire, Kinnard House, and Kneller House is located at 11020 Weyburn Drive. The office is open weekdays, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. You may also e-mail the office at

The Administration Office for Clarington is located at 3200 Sawtelle Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90066. Hours are weekdays, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. You may e-mail the office at

Facilities Staff

UA Facilities full-time staff provides routine repair and maintenance work for all apartments. They also handle ongoing maintenance projects during the course of the year such as unit renovations and build­ing repairs and upgrades.

If you experience a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or UC Police Department/UC Fire Department at (310) 825-1491.

Routine or non-emergency maintenance requests can be submitted any time at or by contacting UA Facilities Management at (310) 983-1300 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday excluding holidays.

Emergency maintenance such as flooding or an electrical problem is available 24-hours a day and must be reported immediately to UA Facilities Management (310) 206-9633.

Custodial Staff

UA full-time custodial staff is responsible for clean­ing common areas in and around the apartment buildings and assist with apartment renovations. Like most good communities, we need your help in maintaining a decent, clean, and safe environment. Please keep all personal items inside your apartment. Placing items in the hallways is prohibited.

Back to Top

Maintenance Services

Routine Maintenance Services

Routine maintenance may be requested by contacting UAN Facilities Management at (310) 983- 1300 during regular business hours or by submitting an online work order at

All repairs and maintenance must be performed by UA Facilities Management or authorized vendors. Residents may not make their own repairs or contract outside vendors. There is no charge for this service unless the mainte­nance required has occurred as a result of negligence on the part of the resident or his or her guest(s). We strongly encourage residents to report any apartment or building problems immediately. Further damage due to delay in reporting may result in charges to the resident. UA Facilities Management reserves the right to enter apartments with authorized vendors.

In the event the power has to be turned off to complete a work order, you are responsible for turning off all appliances including, but not limited to, comput­ers, televisions, and stereos. Once a resident reports a maintenance issue, the University reserves the right to enter the apartment without notice to perform the work in accordance with standard response times. Facilities staff will knock loudly and announce their presence before entering an apartment. When residents call the office for repairs, they must inform others in the apartment of the request so they know a repair­man will be entering the apartment. University Apartments reserves the right to document any existing or potential violation of the rules and regulations observed at the time of entry.

Online Work Order System

The Maximo resident work order system for non-emergency requests allows residents to submit a maintenance work order request online and receive e-mail updates regarding work order status. The website link for Maximo is The site includes a link for instructions on how to submit a non-emergency work order. Users will be required to register and may then begin to use the site to submit requests.

Pest Control Exception

Due to our vendor agree­ment for pest control services, pest control requests may not be called in or placed online. Pest control requests must be made in person at the UAN Administration Office. For your convenience, you may print the form from home by going to and then take the form to the office. Make sure your unit is ready for the type of pest control you need or the vendor will be unable to complete the order.

Ant infestations are common in Southern California due to weather extremes. While a nuisance, they do not present a health or safety concern and can be treated by the resident with an ant care package available at the UAN Administration Office.

Residents must comply with all treatment procedures in the event mandatory measures to control pest infestation are enacted by the Administration Office or UA Facilities Management. Failure to comply with all treatment procedures may result in termination of your rental agreement.

Response Times

The following list provides the standard response times to anticipate for various types of maintenance problems. UA Facilities Management will schedule work based on the overall needs of the department.

Priority I - Hazards to life, health, property and security.

Immediate or same day service for problems such as: lockout, no electricity, no water/hot water, sink blockages, plugged toilet, overflow, no heat, major plumbing leaks, secure broken window, emergency lock replacement, and elevator not working. In case of flooding in either the kitchen or bathroom, please remove all items from under the sinks. Note: If you smell gas, call The Gas Company immediately at (800) 427-2200 in addition to UA Facilities Management.

Priority II - Non-life threatening, but causing some inconvenience to resident.

Work performed within three working days for problems such as: slow drain lines, partial power failure, partially functioning appliances such as one burner or stove not working, malfunctioning air conditioner, broken garage door spring.

Priority III – Causing slight inconvenience to resident.

Work performed within seven working days for prob­lems such as: dripping faucets, inoperable garbage disposal, cabinet/drawer repair, worn toilet seat, malfunctioning dishwasher.

Priority IV - Desirable improvements for apartments and common areas determined to be non-critical.

Work performed within 30 days for problems such as: worn or damaged kitchen or bath floor (non-haz­ardous), laundry room repair (non-hazardous), minor painting, sprinkler leaks (shut off at valve), workable, but worn, sink faucets, workable, but worn, garbage disposal, work that requires ordering of a special part, or a minor common area repair.

Repair Costs, Resident Negligence

Residents shall notify UA Facilities Management of any damage or need for repair of any University Apartments property. Tenants also agree to be jointly responsible with other residents for the protection of University Apartments property, its furnishings, and equipment.

See the “Damages and Miscellaneous Charges” sec­tion in this Handbook for a list of estimated costs for common repairs. The best way to avoid such charges is to exercise cau­tion and immediately call UA Facilities Management when you need repairs. Foresight is always best. If a window in the unit is difficult to open, call for repairs before you break it. If a faucet leaks, call when it starts to leak. Do not wait until you can no longer turn it off. After you call the office for repairs, it is your responsibility to notify your roommate(s) that maintenance staff will be entering the unit. It is not necessary for a resident to be present for work to be done.

Residents are not charged for everything that goes wrong in a unit, only those items that fall under the heading of resident negligence. There may be a minimum charge of $20 for any Facilities action due to resident negligence. University Apartments reserves the right to document any deficiencies found during unit inspection. The University will conduct bi-annual health and safety inspections to ensure there are no conditions present in the apartment that may cause a significant health and safety risk to the community as a whole. Should the tenant be required to remedy said condition, the tenant is financially responsible

The following are considered to be due to resident neglect:

  1. Unreasonable Wear and Use. Any physical damage that is not caused by normal use.
  2. Damaged Furniture. Damaged furniture that is owned by the University will be repaired or replaced at the option of Management.
  3. Torn or Damaged Screens or Blinds. Torn or damaged window screens or blinds will be replaced at the resident’s expense.
  4. Damaged Windows or Light Coverings. Broken windows or light coverings are the financial responsibility of the resident.
  5. Water Damage. Water damage caused by a resident’s failure to properly use the facilities or to notify the office of needed maintenance for a shower, sink, bathtub or excessive mold will be charged to resident. This includes tampering with or modifying the fixtures and pipes to accommodate a water filtration machine or washing machine. Tampering with or modifying any of the plumbing in your apartment will jeopardize the system and cause a leak.
  6. Fire Sprinkler Heads. Water damage caused by activation of sprinkler system due to tampering (e.g., attempting to disarm sprinklers, hanging items from sprinklers, etc.). Residents will be responsible for all renovation costs due to damage to the building’s physical structure as well as the personal belongings of your affected neighbors. Do not touch or hang any item from any of the sprinkler heads inside your apartment.
  7. Smoke Detectors. Tampering with, disabling or removing the smoke detector triggers an alert to our alarm center. Residents must never tamper with or disable a smoke detector or any portion of the fire system.

After-Hours Maintenance Emergencies - (310) 825-3595

University Apartments provides 24-hour residen­tial emergency service. If you require immediate assistance for a lockout, a noise complaint or a maintenance problem in your apartment between 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. or on a weekend or holiday, call for after-hours service. Every night, including weekends and holidays, there is an Apartment Coordinator designated to respond to your calls.

For life-threatening emergencies call 911 or UC Police Department/UC Fire Department at (310) 825-1491.

After-hours service is for emergency calls only. After-hours emergencies are identified as follows:

  • Any situation that immediately endangers health, safety or property.
  • Overflowing toilet, no lights, no heat, no water, no hot water, flooding of any kind, garage door broken (if your car is inside and you are unable to open door).
  • Reset of a circuit breaker or other electrical emergencies (in a case of a community-wide power outage, contact LADWP for updates).
  • Lockouts.

Back to Top